[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dexter Filmore <Dexter dot Filmore at gmx dot de>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  where's my DNS? (can't ping host)
 Date:  Mon, 25 Aug 2008 18:00:09 +0200
I'm a bit lost with name resolving on my local net.
Got three machines:
server (debian etch)
desktop1 (dual etch/kubuntu)
desktop2 (etch)

Now - all machines could ping each other fine. server and desktop1 are
assigned fixed IPs in m0n0wall, desktop2 gets dhcp.

as long as all were debian I could ping all hosts from all hosts by name.
Now when running Kubuntu on desktop1 I can't ping the server no more, only by
IP.
(I can perfectly ping desktop1 from the server tho.)

I have no local DNS set up unless m0n0wall provides it - I was told it didn't.
Correct my if wrong.
Question is: when all the debians are up, how do they actually resolve their
names when there's no DNS around?
And of course: why doesn't it work from Kubuntu?

I've taken this to deb/kub mailing lists already, no luck do far.

Dex

--

http://www.vorratsdatenspeicherung.de