[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Graham Allan <allan at physics dot umn dot edu>
 To:  Steve Bertrand <steve at ibctech dot ca>
 Cc:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Poor man's layer 3 switch.
 Date:  Wed, 27 Aug 2008 12:12:28 -0500
On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 12:39:50PM -0400, Steve Bertrand wrote:
> Lee Sharp wrote:
> >Danny Puckett wrote:
> >>I know m0n0wall makes a pretty good cheap layer 3 switch...
> >
> >Oh for gosh sake... Layer 2 is switch.  Layer 3 is router.  Is someone
> >going through all my buttons?  This is right up there with MB!  (1, 10,
> >11...) :)
>
> LOL, my HP ProCurve 5304xl switches are Layer-2, 3 AND 4 :)
>
> *pushes button and runs away*

While on the subject of switches, many recent(ish) procurve switches are super
cheap on ebay now, eg J4900B procurve 2626 well under $100. The 2626 has some
very rudimentary layer 3 features (completely lame compared to the
5304xl!)  which I've never tried to use; but they are really nice otherwise,
and have loads of advanced features which we *do* use like radius-based
port-vlan assignment. I don't know why anyone would bother with Netgear et al.

Graham