[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Angus MacGyver <macgyver at calibre dash solutions dot co dot uk>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 1.234 bug reports, please (May be off topic)
 Date:  Wed, 27 Aug 2008 21:01:29 +0100
On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 08:53 -0400, mtnbkr wrote:
> > Depends on when you started.  The MB vs MiB thing was never an issue in
> > the old days.  Memory and HD space was in base 2. (Full Stop)  I forget
> > who first started the "Fake MB" but it was around 50meg drives, if I
> > remember right.  Now for people who have been around a while, 1 MB is
> > 1024 kilobytes. (Full Stop)  Also, 1 GB is 1024 MB (1042*1024
> > kilobytes). Full stop.  Anything else is marketing BS that came around
> > later, and the public bought into because no one was taught to count on
> > there fingers in binary.  (Doing that, you can do quite advanced math
> > very fast on your fingers.  It freaks people out)  So, if anyone is
> > referring to a bit or a byte, and uses a multiplier of 1000, they are an
> > idiot or a marketer. (Redundant)  Yes, I know there is a whole "New
> > Standard" since 98 (yes I am old) but it has never really been used. And
> > consider the name; "mega binary byte."  A byte IS friggin binary! There
> > is no such thing as a base 10 Byte!  (Breathe...  Calm down... Count to
> > 10... 1, 10, 11, 100, 101, 110, 111, 1000, 1001, 1010  OK, I am under
> > control.) It also legitimizes the bastardization of kB, MB, and GB in a
> > base 2 numbering system.  Switching bases in the same counting system is
> > asinine.
> >
> > Sorry, one of my pet peevs.
> >
> >             Lee
>

> Amen Lee.    I'm right there with you.
>
> One of my pet peeves was back in the late 80's and into the 90's when monitors
> were always sold like:
>
> <boldprint>"FIFTEEN INCH MONITOR"</boldprint>
> <tinyprint>13.8 viewable</tinyprint>
>
> I never knew how they got away with that marketing scam... Some 15" monitors
> were 14" viewable and some where as low as 13.x viewable... While all were
> marketed and sold as 15" monitors.   Lies. Pure lies. arg..

Amen to both...

Can anyone say "marketing idiots" ???

All about the marketing idiots saying something is bigger than it
actually is from a technical perspective - which is what happens when
you put marketing idiots in charge of selling a technical product - they
"mis-sell" it..

IMHO - go back to the purely technical specs - the proper ones, i.e. one
MB is 1024X1024 bytes - then people that don't understand it will bl**dy
well have to learn the correct way - and WHY it's that way.

Thankfully most *nix's I use report it correctly....

-rw-r--r-- 1 macgyver macgyver 2097152 2008-08-27 20:52 file

2097152/1024 = 2048

That'll be 2MB then

-rw-r--r-- 1 macgyver macgyver 2.0M 2008-08-27 20:52 file

... so it is !

Frankly a damn good lawsuit or two back in the day should have sorted
this once and proper.

A 256MB memory stick is precisely that - not ~230MB - it just *can't*
be.