[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Quark IT - Hilton Travis" <Hilton at QuarkIT dot com dot au>
 To:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] 1.234 bug reports, please (May be off topic)
 Date:  Thu, 28 Aug 2008 07:34:11 +1000

Hi Lee,

Actually, using ISO nomenclature, "mega" is 1,000,000 and "giga" is
1,000,000,000, so "megabyte" means "1,000,000,000 bytes".  This is
simply the facts.  Whoever started using "megabyte" to mean "1,048,576"
was using a "fake MB" and was an "idiot" to use your terms.  ISO
nomenclature is *the* standard nomenclature used worldwide, and they
have stated that "mibi" is a binary multiplier and means 2^20 =
1,048,576, and so on.

It is also one of my pet peeves that intelligent people in IT cannot
comprehend this simple truth and keep using the incorrect nomenclature.

--

http://blog.hiltontravis.com/

Regards,

Hilton Travis                       Phone: +61 (0)7 3105 9101
(Brisbane, Australia)               Phone: +61 (0)419 792 394
Manager, Quark IT                   http://www.quarkit.com.au
         Quark Group                http://www.quarkgroup.com.au

     Microsoft SBSC PAL (Australia) http://www.sbscpal.com/

                    Quark Group Pty. Ltd.
      T/A Quark Automation, Quark AudioVisual, Quark IT