[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Norman H. Azadian" <norman at azadian dot ch>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 1.234 bug reports, please (May be off topic)
 Date:  Thu, 28 Aug 2008 00:25:29 +0200
Sorry, I can't resist.

Since, oh about the 1950's, a kilobyte has been 1024 bytes, and
megabytes and gigabytes and terabytes followed suit as they became
practical.  I don't know, or care, if the ISO standard came before or
after this.  This is the convention in the computer world since the
beginning of computer time.  A kilogram is 1000 grams, but a KB is 1024
bytes.  I know this sounds twisted and bizarre, but it has been so for
at least half a century.  For anyone who designs computer HW or SW, it
is perfectly obvious why this must be so.  Nobody else is qualified to
say anything about it.

Computer jocks have never had a problem with this double-meaning of the
K,M,G,T,P,E multipliers.  The unwashed masses wouldn't either if the
disk Marketeers hadn't sown confusion in order to rip off their customers.

NHA
---
Norman H. Azadian   Taegerishalde 13   CH-3110 Muensingen   Switzerland
norman at azadian dot ch     tel: +41 31 721 7855      mobile: +41 77 204 1981