 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Dynamic traffic shaper - how?
 Date:  Mon, 16 Feb 2004 23:00:13 +0100
Hello,

i've played a bit with the traffic shaper trying to limit the bandwidth of one of my hosts in the
LAN, and i finally succeeded doing this. My problem is just that all i have now is a "static"
limitation. I have 16k upload (max) and i want this host to use the full bandwidth in the out
direction (is acting as a server) but when there is load from the other hosts i want to limit the
bandwidth to let's say max. 2k upload.

What i have now is a limitation that is there, even if the other hosts are completetly down.

As I seem to have understood, this could be possibly by specifying several rules and priotizing
them. But i really have no idea how to do this, what rules to set etc.

Is one of you running m0n0wall (which is great of course! :) ) in a similiar scenario? Or could
someone post some ideas how to make such a ruleset?

And btw: I'm running the new 1.0 Release of m0n0wall.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Daniel