[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chad R. Larson" <clarson at eldocomp dot com>
 To:  Andrew Lewis <andrew at coastal dot com>
 Cc:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] LoadBalancing revisited
 Date:  Tue, 17 Feb 2004 11:35:17 -0700
At 09:12 AM 2/15/2004, Andrew Lewis wrote:

>Chad R. Larson wrote:
>
>>We've been kicking the idea around.  We use vrrp between a pair of
>>FreeBSD based web servers.  The amount of multicast traffic for
>>heartbeats is a bit of an annoyance, but otherwise just fine.
>>On the other hand, if running m0n0wall on something like a net4801 (which
>>has no moving parts, not even a fan) you might want to consider the MTBF
>>of the box against the additional complexity.  And remember, if you have
>>two firewall boxes, you have twice the chance of a failure.
>
>Given the reliability of the hardware is there much value in a vrrp
>configuration that doesn't support stateful failover?

I'm inclined to think not.  But remember the large portion of sites these
days are transaction oriented (web servers, for example), and they don't
really worry too much about preserving state.

          -crl
   Eldorado Computing, Inc.   602-604-3100
      5353 North 16th Street, Suite 400
        Phoenix, Arizona   85016-3228