[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chad R. Larson" <clarson at eldocomp dot com>
 To:  Jim Gifford <jim at giffords dot net>, "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Proxy ARP
 Date:  Tue, 17 Feb 2004 15:33:53 -0700
At 01:38 PM 2/17/2004, Jim Gifford wrote:
>You are right that the RFC states that the server SHOULD behave as you
>said.  However, it says more on the behavior.  This is taken from RFC2131:
>
>    As described in section 4.2, a server MAY, for administrative
>    reasons, assign an address other than the one requested, or may
>    refuse to allocate an address to a particular client even though free
>    addresses are available.

The important words there are =may= and =administrative reasons=.  If you
read some of the discussions that lead to that section, they were mostly
concerned with what happens if a provider needs to reorganize a network,
like splitting one into two for load reasons.

But you're right.  The cable people sometimes flip my IP address for no
apparent reason.  The last time, my first hint was when my VPN tunnel to my
office went away.

          -crl
   Eldorado Computing, Inc.   602-604-3100
      5353 North 16th Street, Suite 400