[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "John Voigt" <1geek at jvoigt dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Mail Server Behind 1.0
 Date:  Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:41:43 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Hilton Travis" <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 5:23 PM

> Hi John,
>
> DMX?  You been doing some stage lighting lately?  :)

How'd you guess?  :-)

> OK, why is placing a server (that is often serving Internet users) in
> the DMZ a bad idea.  The DMZ is designed for exactly this sort of things
> - servers used for Internet users.

Well, it leaves your server to fend for itself, attack-wise.  Isn't that
really what the firewall is for?  I mean you still need to worry about
what's behind the ports you're forwarding but you no longer have to be as
concerned about other open ports on the server.

John

John Voigt, President

Reston Wireless, LLC
High speed internet service