[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Adam Nellemann <adam at nellemann dot nu>
 To:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Traffic Shaper Info!
 Date:  Wed, 18 Feb 2004 00:14:43 +0100
Hi,

I can see I'm not the only one having trouble finding useful
information about the traffic shaper in m0n0wall.

While I'm by no means any expert, I believe I've guessed and
trial'n'error'ed my way to a nearly complete understanding of how the
shaper works. Although it can be very difficult to test and verify
some of these things. I must therefore stress that (nearly) everything
I know about this subject is based purely on conjecture and/or my
personal experience using the shaper.

Since I've recently committed myself to the m0n0wall documentation
project, and since nobody else seem to know much more about the shaper
than I do, I guess I could start writing this section, due to the high
"popular demand" ;)

Until that happens, I hope you will be able to get some understanding
of the shaper, from the info I've recently posted about it here. If
you need further information, please don't hesitate to contact me
(either here on the list or directly by e-mail).

In the meantime, I guess it would be good practice (for the manual) if
I wrote down some of what I know, and post it here. Please stand by...

Adam.