[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim Gifford <jim at giffords dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] IPSec-VPN between 2 dynamic IP-m0n0s
 Date:  Wed, 18 Feb 2004 18:47:46 -0500
On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 12:39:18AM +0100, Harald Schmidt wrote:
> Searched the listarchives, but only found the question a few times but
> not an answer :(
> Is there a way to setup this, and how ?
> I can't enter a dynamic-DNS adress into the "remote gateway" field, only
> IPs accepted there. Am I missing something or is this just not possible
> at the moment.

I have spent MUCH time and effort on trying to make this work, and I'm
confident I'm right when I say that m0n0wall doesn't (yet) support this.

I have one workaround in mind that I'm trying to test with m0n0wall, but
it is an ugly kludge.  I'm still learning about freebsd's ipsec
implementation and how racoon/IKE ties in with it.  Perhaps with a
greater understanding of how it all fits together I'll be able to come up
with a non-kludge method.  Or perhaps not.

This is one situation where openvpn has an advantage.  *grin*

I had hoped that since m0n0wall had support for clients with dynamic
addresses that it would also be able to be a dynamic address client, but
this seems to not be the case.  Or at least, it can't be a dynamic
address client to another m0n0wall.  I've only been able to get a link
between dynamic ip m0n0walls to work by hardcoding the addresses so far.

If I'm wrong about the above summations, I would *love* to hear a
correction.

jim