[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Stephen Erisman <serisman at serisman dot com>
 To:  Monowall Support List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  PXE Booting: Multiple next-server and filename entries?
 Date:  Sat, 20 Sep 2008 11:59:26 -0500
I have been using m0n0wall's DHCP server to send the 'next-server' and
'filename' options for a while now.
So far I have always been directing all my PXE clients to the same TFTP
server, and the same boot filename (tftpboot/pxelinux.0).
I now want to try to PXE boot a FreeBSD client which appears to use a
program called pxeboot instead of pxelinux.0.

So, my questions are:
1. Does the DHCP server in m0n0wall support sending a different
'filename' option by client or by group of clients?
2. If yes, how easy would it be to change the xml config loader to load
the 'next-server' and/or 'filename' options from a staticmap node and
override the root values for that client?
3. What about allowing the edit of these options from the 'Edit static
mapping' page?  (I noticed that the latest 1.3 beta already allows
editing of them from the 'DHCP server' page.)
4. If the above are not possible, does anyone know if the pxelinux.0
program can spawn the pxeboot program, or can is be used to directly
boot FreeBSD?

FYI... If the answer to #1 is yes, I may be able to help with
implementing #2 and #3.  I just wanted to get other's thoughts before
jumping in.

Thanks,
 Steve