[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Quark IT - Hilton Travis" <Hilton at QuarkIT dot com dot au>
 To:  "Mikael Bak" <mikael at t dash online dot hu>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] SIP Proxy
 Date:  Sat, 27 Sep 2008 05:53:51 +1000

Hi Mikael,

Not to mention that old versions are often updated to new versions
because vulnerabilities are found - such as the recent DNS
vulnerabilities - so running old versions is generally considered a bad
idea for security reasons.

We're about to start looking at sipXecs here at the office and for our
clients instead of Asterisk-based PBX systems.  The one issue with
sipXecs right now (and in the past, which is also why we didn't look too
seriously at it) is that if your sipXecs box is behind a firewall, you
need an SBC for it to work. I gather the deprecated m0n0wall SIP Proxy
acted as a full Session Border Controller?  This will be addressed in
sipXecs 4.0, but there's no indication on how far away this is at this
point in time.

So, the SIP proxy in m0n0wall would really have been handy!  :)  We
never found it to be an issue here when it was disabled - we've run SIP
here for a few years now - however now it is gone, we need it!  Bugger,
eh?

If anyone knows of a nice little firewall distro that has an inbuilt SIP
proxy, and this excludes SmoothWall (because I said "nice"), then I'm
all ears.

--

http://blog.hiltontravis.com/

Regards,

Hilton Travis                       Phone: +61 (0)7 3105 9101
(Brisbane, Australia)               Phone: +61 (0)419 792 394
Manager, Quark IT                   http://www.quarkit.com.au
         Quark Group                http://www.quarkgroup.com.au

     Microsoft SBSC PAL (Australia) http://www.sbscpal.com/

                    Quark Group Pty. Ltd.
      T/A Quark Automation, Quark AudioVisual, Quark IT