[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "David Kitchens" <spider at webweaver dot com>
 To:  "'Monowall User List'" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Connecting to Exchange via vpn
 Date:  Mon, 29 Sep 2008 12:59:43 -0400
Hello everyone, I've got a problem connecting to Exchange thru an ipsec vpn.
I'm using 1.3b14 on both ends and the vpn is working fine. Remote office has
3 computers, main office has the SBS2003 server running as a DC. I first
tried to join the 3 computers at the remote office to the domain itself, DNS
is fully working, I can ping all main office machines by computer name and
can get to the servers /connectcomputer webpage but when attempting to join
I get an error about can't list users or computers. I manually joined the
domain on one machine the old way, right click My Comp, join domain, and
that worked fine but the logon was extremely slow. Discussing these
limitations with the owner, we decided to leave the remote computers
unjoined. I can map drives so those users can access the server and I can
get to https://server/exchange to use OWA but the users want to use Outlook.
When opening Outlook and attempting to configure the users account, I am
getting "There was an error locating one of the items needed to complete the
operation. It may have been deleted." I get this when entering the username
and hitting Check Name. I have pass rules for all on both monowalls IPSEC
Rules page. Can someone give me a clue what else I may need please? I've
googled myself to death on this. I've tried setting a static route on the
remote monowall to the other subnet but that hasn't seemed to help. I
suspect that Outlook is trying to do something else that is getting blocked
but nothing is showing in the logs of either monowall.

Dave