[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  rgreiner <mrgreiner at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] IP violation
 Date:  Thu, 23 Oct 2008 15:41:56 -0200
David Burgess wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 10:49 AM, rgreiner <mrgreiner at gmail dot com> wrote:
>
>> No, every user has to authenticate via captive portal, which uses our
>> freeradius authentication structure (we have many radius servers,
>> because we have about 2 dozen subdomains in use, for different campi of
>> the university, but the main radius server is under our direct control).
>> But what good will it do knowing the dhcp leases, if I only know the
>> external IP, which is the IP of the monowall box??? And blocking tcp
>> ports does not work, since bittorrent uses dynamic ports.
>>
>> About the time of the violation, they sent the exact minute it happened,
>> which does not help much, since at that specific moment I had 260 users
>> connected.
>>
>> Any other ideas?
>>

> This sounds to me like a net neutrality issue. I am not a lawyer, but
> if I were in your position I would seriously consider my obligations
> to the "Associação Brasileira das Empresas de Software" and my legal
> obligations with regards to monitoring my clients' online activities.
>
> I would be inclined, after perhaps checking with my legal counsel, to
> respond with a letter saying, in effect, "We're sorry, we run a
> network with many anonymous individuals using our IP address on a
> temporary and transitive basis. We simply do not have the resources,
> much less the freedom to monitor their several online activities."
>
> I recognise that you came to the list asking for technical help, but I
> felt compelled to respond to the glaring ethical issues which really
> face most or all ISPs lately. This is one hot topic that many of us on
> this list have already faced or will have to face in the near future.
>
> db

Well, I would usually agree with you, but in this case one of our users
was downloading games (Civilization IV + Warlords + Beyond the Sword))
with its cracks included. No matter how much net neutrality, I don't
think we should let this pass. Usually we really don't monitor what our
users do (90% of which are students or teachers). Also, unlike what you
see in the US, the ABES (the association mentioned in the mail) didn't
come threatening us, they sent a friendly mail pointing that one of our
users was downloading copyrighted software. No treahts, no strings
attached to the mail. The least I can do is try to do find that user
downloading this software. Considering our usual policy, if we find him,
what will happen is that he will be formally reprimanded for it. No more
than that.

But anyway, thanks for your input.

Roberto

                Marcos Roberto Greiner

   Os otimistas acham que estamos no melhor dos mundos
    Os pessimistas tem medo de que isto seja verdade
                                       Murphy