[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "David Burgess" <apt dot get at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Problems with Playstation NAT
 Date:  Sun, 14 Sep 2008 23:06:11 -0600
> I would like to connect a playstation for online gaming to my mono wall.
>

> So - there is for each game another port-range to play online - it is a
>
> horror to configure all ports exactly.
>

> My old router had an option "DMZ Host" - this host got all packets addressed
>
> to my public ip, except the ports for which another nat rule was active.
>

> Is there any option to get this type of NAT with mono-wall to work ? I have
>
> already tried to redirect ports 1024-32767 to the playstation with resulted
>
> into problems with getting online with my other PCs in the network

First off, most PC and console games don't require incoming NAT. I've
used xbox live with monowall and no issues there, no NAT to set up.
The exception is where you need to host a game, i.e., run a server
that other players connect to directly. Are you sure you need to open
ports to your PS3?

If so, then the simplest way, if you need all kinds of ports and don't
want the hassle of manually setting them all up, is if you can get a
second IP address from your ISP. m0n0 can handle both public IP
addresses, forwarding all traffic for the one to the PS3 and the other
operating as it is now. This would be accomplished using 1:1 or
Advanced Outbound NAT. Or get a switch and connect both the m0n0wall
and PS3 directly to the modem.

If you will be limited to a single public IP address and you must do
some port forwarding then you may be stuck identifying the affected
ports and forwarding them manually.

db