[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Fwd: About monowall
 Date:  Thu, 30 Oct 2008 13:46:38 -0400
On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 3:59 AM, Amar B <b dot amraa at gmail dot com> wrote:
> Dear all
>
> Hello all. I have a question about the monowall. It's possible to use
> monowall in ISP (small) with about 10000 subscribers. How many user can
> connect monowall in pic time.

The number of users is irrelevant. The number of connections those
users are making will be your limit, the state table is hard coded at
30,000 in m0n0wall and you have to compile your own kernel to increase
that. With 10,000 subscribers, there's a good chance you will need a
much larger state table than 30,000, so you're looking at having to
build your own kernel. Alternatively, pfSense is similar to m0n0wall
though since it uses pf rather than ipfilter and pf lets you increase
the state table size on the fly, it's adjustable in the GUI, so that
might be a easier option for you.

With a custom kernel with a bigger state table, using adequate
hardware, m0n0wall would have no problem handling 10,000 users.

-Chris