[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Neil A. Hillard" <m0n0 at dana dot org dot uk>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Problems with 1.3b15 on a Compaq EN SFF...
 Date:  Wed, 5 Nov 2008 23:12:15 +0000
In message
<d64aa1760811032132n5e06a7aar1fa096ab6a1686f4 at mail dot gmail dot com>, Chris
Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com> writes
>On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 7:05 PM, Neil A. Hillard <m0n0 at dana dot org dot uk> wrote:
>>
>> Anyone know of any reason why 1.3b15 doesn't work?
>>

>Any messages on the console?  If you put different NICs in the box,
>does it change the behavior?

No messages on the console and I don't have any alternate NICs - I
loaned my last Intel NIC out and haven't got it back yet!

>What you're likely seeing is either a FreeBSD regression from 4.11 to
>6.x, or a FreeBSD change between those versions that triggers a bug in
>your hardware that wasn't previously triggered. For the former, not
>much you can do other than attempt stock FreeBSD releases on the box
>and see if it acts the same, and try 7.0 as well. For the latter
>scenario, I'd check for a BIOS update and check BIOS settings like PNP
>OS.

I did some testing last night (using and HDD) and tonight now that
another CF-IDE adapter has arrived!

It appears that if I reload my configuration from 1.22 to 1.3b15, the
NICs just refuse to work.  If I go back to not using VLANs then things
work but reconfiguring the interfaces - only VLAN ID 1 as vlan0 on fxp0
and xl0 as WAN then it won't work!

If however I do a 'factory reset' then everything works as expected -
LAN = vlan0 and WAN = xl0!

Does this mean that there's something in the backup file that's screwing
up 1.3b15?

It looks like I'll be able to reconfigure the firewall from scratch and
carry on working but that's just a pain (but doable)!

Would it be worth installing 1.22, upgrading to 1.235 and then to
1.3b15? To see if this resolves matters?

Many thanks in advance,

                                Neil.