[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Michael Graves" <mgraves at mstvp dot com>
 To:  "Mono Wall list" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  m0n0wall as persistent VPN end-point?
 Date:  Mon, 10 Nov 2008 13:44:44 -0600
Hi All,

I've used m0n0 for a long time in my home office. I work from home
connecting to my employers MS PPTP VPN on an as needed basis.
Essentially, I have a PC or two that have VPN logins to the head office
for access to Exchange or corp file servers. My router (m0n0wall on
Net4801) does not itself have a connection to the head office. I also
have a substancial VoIP setup so managed QoS/traffic shaping is a must.

My employer approached me about providing me with a router that was a
VPN end point. They think that this might get around issues we have
with DNS failure through the VPN. That has typically required hosts
file entries for servers inside the corp firewall, even thought we are
connected to the VPN.

This brings up a couple of questions:

1. Is there a DNS configuration that would allow m0n0wall to reference
the corp DNS server for systems within our local LAN/WAN?

2. Could m0n0wall be that persistent VPN connection?

3. Would it be harder or easier using IPSEC vs PPTP?

Thanks,

Michael
--
Michael Graves