[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Neil A. Hillard" <m0n0 at dana dot org dot uk>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Performance difference between 1.235 and 1.3b15
 Date:  Thu, 13 Nov 2008 23:48:18 +0000
Hi,

Since I got my configuration working on 1.3b15 (by disabling device
polling) I've noticed a big difference in Internet performance.

Even things like going to my router's admin page was very slow and there
was a big delay before it even displayed the password prompt!

This evening I managed to get wireshark out and see exactly what was
going on.  It turns out that my PC is spending most of its time waiting
for a response, not getting it and then doing a retransmit!

Things work eventually but very slowly.

My configuration is:

Compaq EN SFF 350MHz
128Mb RAM
64Mb CF Card
On board Intel 82558 Ethernet adapter
2 off 3com 3c905C Ethernet adapters

The onboard Intel is running a vlan trunk to my switch with VLAN IDs 1 -
6 which correspond to vlan0 - vlan5.

VLAN ID 1 (vlan0) is LAN.

The two 3c905Cs are WAN and OPT1 and are bridged, with filtering bridge
enabled.

I'm running the same configuration that I was running on 1.22 on 1.3b15.
Additionally I'd configured an ipsec tunnel.  I've now disabled it to
check if it was that causing the problem but it doesn't resolve the
problem!

I've just plugged my old machine back in with 1.22 and two 3c905Bs and
it's lightning quick!

I tried the 3c905Bs with 1.3b15 and nothing changed!

I really want to use 1.3b15 so I can filter incoming ipsec traffic but
it seems to be slowing things down considerably!

Any thoughts on what could be doing this and what I can try to resolve
this?

Many, many thanks in advance,

                                Neil.