[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Nicolai Scheer <scope at planetavent dot de>
 To:  "Neil A. Hillard" <m0n0 at dana dot org dot uk>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Performance difference between 1.235 and 1.3b15
 Date:  Fri, 14 Nov 2008 20:24:23 +0100
Hi!

Neil A. Hillard wrote:
> Since I got my configuration working on 1.3b15 (by disabling device
> polling) I've noticed a big difference in Internet performance.
>
> Even things like going to my router's admin page was very slow and there
> was a big delay before it even displayed the password prompt!
>
> This evening I managed to get wireshark out and see exactly what was
> going on.  It turns out that my PC is spending most of its time waiting
> for a response, not getting it and then doing a retransmit!
>
> Things work eventually but very slowly.
>
> My configuration is:
>
> Compaq EN SFF 350MHz
> 128Mb RAM
> 64Mb CF Card
> On board Intel 82558 Ethernet adapter
> 2 off 3com 3c905C Ethernet adapters

I share your experience. When using m0n0 1.2 on my WRAP (233MHz),
everything was fine. After I switched to 1.3, I could not even reach the
web interface when under heavy traffic (traffic was delivered in time,
though). I think this is due to FreeBSD 6 being more "hardware hungry".

Now, using an Alix board (500MHz) everything works fine with 1.3, even
when under high load.

Greetings,

Nico