[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Performance difference between 1.235 and 1.3b15
 Date:  Fri, 14 Nov 2008 20:08:16 -0500
On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 2:24 PM, Nicolai Scheer <scope at planetavent dot de> wrote:

> I share your experience. When using m0n0 1.2 on my WRAP (233MHz),
> everything was fine. After I switched to 1.3, I could not even reach the
> web interface when under heavy traffic (traffic was delivered in time,
> though). I think this is due to FreeBSD 6 being more "hardware hungry".

This is likely different. Going from 1.2 to 1.3 you'll see your max
throughput go from around 45 Mbps to about 25 Mbps on a WRAP. If
you're pushing close to 25 Mbps, while you were fine previously, you
don't have enough horsepower with 1.3.

In Neil's case, the cause is likely that large packets are getting
dropped somewhere. The client is sitting there waiting for the reply,
which is likely being sent, just getting dropped somewhere for some
reason. Eventually PMTUD does its thing and you get back the smaller
packet size. There was a bug in FreeBSD 6.2 where MRU was forced to
MTU, which caused problems with VLANs, but that was resolved in 6.3 so
if you're using the latest beta that won't be the case. Could be
something related to hardware VLAN tagging on the NICs.

-Chris