[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Performance difference between 1.235 and 1.3b15
 Date:  Sat, 15 Nov 2008 12:14:26 -0500
On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 4:07 AM, Neil A. Hillard <m0n0 at dana dot org dot uk> wrote:

> Hopefully sometime this weekend I'll get 1.3b15 on my test box and start
> building the configuration from scratch and see if a basic configuration
> suffers the same performance problem.
>
> Is there a list of NICs that support hardware VLAN tagging for 1.3?

Should be the same as those in 1.2, plus some.

> Is there a
> recommendation for a decent card?  There seems to be plenty of Intel
> Pro/100 and Pro/100 S on eBay going at a sensible price!  Not sure if
> the onboard 82558 supports VLAN tagging natively.

Pro/100s are the best low cost way to go. Pro/1000s are faster (well,
use less CPU) even at 100 Mb, about a 15% increase in throughput where
the CPU wasn't fast enough (Pentium 200 MHz) to push 100 Mb wire speed
in testing I've done.

But that may not fix your problem, and while I'm pretty sure what
you're seeing is large frames getting lost, that hasn't been
confirmed.

First, drop the MTU on one of your hosts to 1400. If the problem goes
away for that host, that confirms my suspicion is correct. Then post
the ifconfig output for your VLAN parent interface from m0n0wall.

-Chris