[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Neil A. Hillard" <m0n0 at dana dot org dot uk>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Performance difference between 1.235 and 1.3b15
 Date:  Sun, 16 Nov 2008 12:47:10 +0000
Hi,

In message
<d64aa1760811150914v5df96cc8q1d87814ef70f4626 at mail dot gmail dot com>, Chris
Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com> writes
>On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 4:07 AM, Neil A. Hillard <m0n0 at dana dot org dot uk> wrote:
>>
>> Hopefully sometime this weekend I'll get 1.3b15 on my test box and start
>> building the configuration from scratch and see if a basic configuration
>> suffers the same performance problem.
>>
>> Is there a list of NICs that support hardware VLAN tagging for 1.3?
>
>Should be the same as those in 1.2, plus some.
>

>> Is there a
>> recommendation for a decent card?  There seems to be plenty of Intel
>> Pro/100 and Pro/100 S on eBay going at a sensible price!  Not sure if
>> the onboard 82558 supports VLAN tagging natively.
>>

>Pro/100s are the best low cost way to go. Pro/1000s are faster (well,
>use less CPU) even at 100 Mb, about a 15% increase in throughput where
>the CPU wasn't fast enough (Pentium 200 MHz) to push 100 Mb wire speed
>in testing I've done.
>
>But that may not fix your problem, and while I'm pretty sure what
>you're seeing is large frames getting lost, that hasn't been
>confirmed.
>
>First, drop the MTU on one of your hosts to 1400. If the problem goes
>away for that host, that confirms my suspicion is correct. Then post
>the ifconfig output for your VLAN parent interface from m0n0wall.

I've tested dropping my MTU size to 1400 but that seems to make things a
touch more responsive but not what it should be!

I've managed to do some other testing and have configured my test
firewall with 1.3b15, with the same interface configuration (except for
different VLAN IDs) and luckily I have a spare external IP address so
I've been able to do this without having to affect my live
configuration.

I believe I have however confirmed that this is an advanced outbound NAT
problem!

If I enable advanced outbound NAT and add one rule:

Interface       Source          Destination     Target
WAN             192.168.1.0/24  *               *

everything is fine.  If however I add a negation to the destination:

Interface       Source          Destination     Target
WAN             192.168.1.0/24  ! x.y.z.0/29    *

the problem shows itself.

I need to basically have the second form so that I can access my
services on my Internet facing DMZ (bridged to WAN), otherwise:

http://doc.m0n0.ch/handbook/faq-bridge.html

prevents me from accessing the services (I really must get the FAQ
updated as the key to accessing devices on a bridged interface is to
prevent them from being NATed - I've had it working for years so far)!

I've done a quick bit of searching for ipnat bugs that could cause this
issue but I haven't come across anything!

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Many thanks in advance,

                                Neil.