[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PCI wireless AP?
 Date:  Wed, 19 Nov 2008 16:39:02 -0500
On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 3:31 PM, JP Vossen <jp at jpsdomain dot org> wrote:
> I am building a generic-pc-1.3b15.img M0n0wall on an old PII whitebox. In
> the interest of one less gadget/wires/power-supply, I was thinking about
> adding a PCI wireless card and using the M0n0wall stuff.
>
> The Froogle links (awesome idea) aren't always clear if the device is a PC
> Card or PCI, or what.  For the couple that I'm pretty sure are PCI (e.g.,
> Netgear MA311), they are a) only 11Mb and b) > $50.  So this may not be as
> fast and as cost effective as I'd hoped.
>

> 1) Is http://doc.m0n0.ch/handbook/hardware-wireless.html current and correct
> for v1.3 (I know, still in beta, but...)?

That's only accurate for 1.2x.

> 2) Is this, circa 2004, still true? http://doc.m0n0.ch/handbook/faq-ap.html

Yes and no. FreeBSD 6.x is vastly better than 4.x, and overall works
pretty well. But it still isn't great, a $50 Linksys is more reliable
in my experience. FreeBSD 7.0 is significantly improved from there and
is easily on par with any AP.

> 3) Is this actually a Good Idea, or should I just get a cheap stand-alone AP
> and be done with it?  (In that case, recommendations for that?)

I'd probably go for a cheap AP and run it into an OPT interface on m0n0.

-Chris