[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Neil A. Hillard" <m0n0 at dana dot org dot uk>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Problems with 1.3b15 on a Compaq EN SFF...
 Date:  Tue, 4 Nov 2008 00:05:04 +0000
Hi,

I've been running m0n0wall very successfully for quite a while now.  I
managed an uptime of 608 days on 1.22 and only had to take the machine
down because of a faulty PSU fan!  Since I replaced that I've managed
another 40 days of uptime.

I decided that it was time to upgrade to 1.3b15 as I want to setup a VPN
with one of my customers and want the ability to filter the incoming VPN
traffic.

I've been running on an 8MB CF card up until now but 1.3 won't fit on
that!  I got a spare 64MB card and loaded up 1.3b15 (using dd on my
Linux box).  I downloaded a backup from 1.22 and swapped the cards.

As LAN is on a VLAN connection I temporarily set the IP address of LAN
and connected it to a switch port that was on the correct VLAN and
uploaded the backup.

The machine rebooted (I switched the LAN connection back to the correct
switch port) but I wasn't able to communicate at all with the firewall.
ARPs on both LAN and OPT1 were failing.

Switching back to the original CF card brought everything back to life.
I've since upgraded to 1.235 on the 8MB CF card and all is still well!

My setup is:

Compaq Deskpro EN SFF
PIII 450MHz
128MB RAM
8MB/64MB CF Card
LAN:  vlan 0 on xl0
WAN:  xl0
OPT1: xl1

WAN and OPT1 are bridged and I have a number of other OPT interfaces on
VLANs on xl0.

Anyone know of any reason why 1.3b15 doesn't work?  Unfortunately I have
to do all of my testing on my live firewall as I don't have a spare
IDE-CF card adapter (about time I get one, I suppose).  I have another
box but I need another NIC which I should be able to sort out and then
I'll have an almost identical box to do the testing on.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance,

                                Neil.