[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] OT: wireless PTP
 Date:  Tue, 25 Nov 2008 09:13:05 -0600
David Burgess wrote:
> Definitely off topic here, and I know it's been discussed on the list
> in the past, but darn it, I know some of the smartest wi-fi folks in
> the world hang out here, and my internet searches keep coming up dry
> :)
>
> I need to set up a point-to-point wireless link, and just wondering
> the best way to go. Labour is not an issue, but price of parts should
> be <USD500. I need to tie a remote location to an existing internet
> connection. This will be a low traffic link, but should be able to
> sustain speeds of 3mbps for short bursts, and reliability is a must.
>
> Straight line distance from client to AP is 1.58 km (0.98 miles), line
> of sight or near LOS (I can see client's roof among tree tops from
> tower at AP). Outdoor ambient temps will never exceed -45 C to 40 C.

What trees?  Seriously, some pine needles are the wavelength of WiFi,
and wet leaves are a real problem.  That said, there is little that
power can not overcome.  I do like the WRT54GL with other firmware a
lot.  But you will still need a high gain directional antenna like
http://store.freenet-antennas.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_24_26&products_id=123
and you may need a booster like
http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/productlist.php?CatID=32&FamID=72&ProdID=187
to make it solid.  You could also use the EnGenious 600mw AP which is
much more solid that the old 400mw units. (With an antenna)

Also realize that wind an rain will effect this, so mount the antenna
securely, and overbuild it for rain.

			Lee