[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  rgreiner <mrgreiner at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  DNS behavior
 Date:  Tue, 25 Nov 2008 12:38:20 -0200
Hi,

I'm getting a strange behavior with DNS using Monowall 1.235.

All our clients are using monowall as their gateway and DNS.

Monowall is configured as a DNS forwarder to our 3 real DNS servers
(which are outside the monowall controlled network).

When I'm on one of our windows client boxes command line and type
"nslookup <some random server>", I get a timeout in the response. But,
if a try to ping that name, open a web page, etc, it does resolve
without problems. The Monowall server has a relatively high load, but
it's not overloaded (the cpu usage stays usually between 20% and 50%,
with a load of

Does that make any sense to anyone? Did I miss something painfully
obvious???

Any help would be appreciated.

Tks.

   -----------------------------

Output sample from the nslookup:

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.

172.16.0.1: Time
d out

Servidor:  UnKnown
Address:  172.16.0.1

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.

   --------------------------

ipconfig output

Monowall load:

m0n0wall: execute command

$ uptime
12:20PM  up  1:21, 0 users, load averages: 0.21, 0.46, 0.46

                Marcos Roberto Greiner

   Os otimistas acham que estamos no melhor dos mundos
    Os pessimistas tem medo de que isto seja verdade
                                       Murphy