[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Michael Pope" <spotnruby at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  A route to this destination network already exists
 Date:  Fri, 5 Dec 2008 01:53:52 -0500
Hi All,

I am trying to reconfigure a m0n0wall for some network changes and have run
into the error above. Here's the environment:

Name Interface Interface_IP Newtork
LAN sis0 192.168.165.1 192.168.165.0/24
WAN sis1 x.x.x.x x.x.x.x/xx
Unmanaged sis2 192.168.50.1 192.168.50.0/24
Phone VLAN 2 on sis0 10.10.16.2 10.10.16.0/24

VLANs
Interface VLAN_tag Description
sis0 1 Managed VLAN
sis0 2 Phone VLAN
sis2 3 Unmanaged VLAN

Static Routes
Interface Network Gateway
LAN 10.10.16.0/24 192.168.165.31

Firewall Rules - LAN
Action Proto Source Port Destination Port Description
Block * LAN net * Unmanaged net * Block LAN (Managed) -> Unmanaged
Pass * LAN net * * * Default LAN -> any
Pass * x.x.x.x/xx * * * Allow 1:1 NAT'ted Traffic Outbound

Firewall Rules - Unmanaged
Action Proto Source Port Destination Port Description
Block * Unmanaged net * LAN net * Block Unmanaged -> LAN (Managed)
Pass * Unmanaged net * * * Default Unmanaged -> any

Firewall Rules - Phone
Action Proto Source Port Destination Port Description
Pass * Phone net * * * Default Phone -> any

The m0n0wall is connected to a trunk switch performing VLAN static port
tagging. The managed VLAN and the unmanaged VLAN both need to communicate
with the phone VLAN and the phone VLAN needs to communicate with the managed
VLAN and the unmanaged VLAN. But the unmanaged VLAN and the managed VLAN
should not talk to one another. There is an Avaya gateway on the phone
subnet that has an interface on both the managed VLAN (192.168.165.31) and
the unmanaged VLAN (192.168.50.2). When I try to add the static route for
the Unmanaged interface to route to the phone VLAN (UNmanaged 10.10.16.0/24
192.168.50.2), it says that A route to this destination network already
exists. However, the other route is for the Managed VLAN and this route is
for the Unmanaged VLAN. Can someone explain to me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Michael