[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Tim Nelson <tnelson at rockbochs dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] How often is the CF card written on normal operation?
 Date:  Mon, 1 Dec 2008 11:10:00 -0600 (CST)
Manuel or another dev can probably comment on this further in terms of specific writes...

BUT, I can comment on real world usage. Nearly every flash device comes with a wear-leveling
mechanism to prevent single-flash-sector burnout from happening as quickly. I've got a few
installations of m0n0wall and pfSense on 256MB Sandisk CF cards that have been working flawlessly
for nearly two years with semi-regular monthly changes/updates. One of my personal systems at home
is using a similar card and has been working for the same amount of time but with constant (almost
daily) updates, reflashes, etc.

Tim Nelson
Systems/Network Support
Rockbochs Inc.