[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Tim Kingman <tim dot kingman at gmail dot com>
 Subject:  Re: WII behind m0n0wall
 Date:  Sun, 14 Dec 2008 23:08:32 -0500
Today, I successfully "hosted" a Mario Kart race with 1.3b15. I used
my existing 1.2 config, which has static DHCP defined for all devices
(including the Wii), and two NAT rules for two computers, but no other
settings specific to the Wii. I have no other NAT or 1:1 mappings
defined. I don't see anything in the log for the default deny rule, so
I can't confirm or deny the use of any unusual high-numbered ports.

I'm not sure what more I can offer here, but it looks like 1.3b15
isn't itself incompatible with Mario Kart.. I had originally intended
to try a clean default config, but I had a 1.2 config handy and it
worked with no trouble. I can try again with a clean 1.3 config if you
think that would give us any more information.

I was and still am under the assumption that Nintendo WFC doesn't have
any inbound-port requirements, and that the "Create a room" option is
more like creating an AIM chat room (everything happens server-side)
than hosting a game of Quake (many peers connecting to another peer).
While FPS players may be able to handle port forwarding, Nintendo is
marketing to families and non-"hardcore gamers", and none of their
games make any mention of requiring special settings on home networks.

-tim