[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Christopher M. Iarocci" <iarocci at eastendsc dot com>
 To:  Tim Kingman <tim dot kingman at gmail dot com>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: WII behind m0n0wall
 Date:  Mon, 15 Dec 2008 06:32:10 -0500
Tim,

I appreciate your effort, and the info I got from it.  My config is
considerably more complex than a default one and I make extensive use of
IPSEC VPNs.  Nintendo does have inbound port requirements, I sniffed the
line to determine so.  If you looked at your state table during the game
you would see a single UDP connection directly from the person you are
playing against.  I'm wondering if randomization is turned off due to
you using a 1.2 config.  I'm waiting for an answer on how to do so
myself.  My router is a 1.3B15 installed and configured from scratch.

I've also tried a PFSense box with a totally default config I had lying
around and it to has the same exact issue.  I can only host if I put a
1:1 mapping in place.  Wish I still had it because the instructions on
how to disable port randomization are clear, but I just recently gave it
away to a friend.  Hopefully someone will answer my question on how to
do it on m0n0wall.

Chris

Tim Kingman wrote:
> Today, I successfully "hosted" a Mario Kart race with 1.3b15. I used
> my existing 1.2 config, which has static DHCP defined for all devices
> (including the Wii), and two NAT rules for two computers, but no other
> settings specific to the Wii. I have no other NAT or 1:1 mappings
> defined. I don't see anything in the log for the default deny rule, so
> I can't confirm or deny the use of any unusual high-numbered ports.
>
> I'm not sure what more I can offer here, but it looks like 1.3b15
> isn't itself incompatible with Mario Kart.. I had originally intended
> to try a clean default config, but I had a 1.2 config handy and it
> worked with no trouble. I can try again with a clean 1.3 config if you
> think that would give us any more information.
>
> I was and still am under the assumption that Nintendo WFC doesn't have
> any inbound-port requirements, and that the "Create a room" option is
> more like creating an AIM chat room (everything happens server-side)
> than hosting a game of Quake (many peers connecting to another peer).
> While FPS players may be able to handle port forwarding, Nintendo is
> marketing to families and non-"hardcore gamers", and none of their
> games make any mention of requiring special settings on home networks.
>
> -tim
>
> On Dec 12, 2008, at 6:50 AM, Christopher M. Iarocci wrote:
>
>> Tim,
>>
>> I am able to do everything you described.  It is when someone tries
>> to connect to my room that it fails.  They cannot.  I can also play
>> on Nintendo WFC and create rooms at will.  The failure is when
>> someone tries to connect to that room.  Interestingly enough, if the
>> someone connecting is behind a Linksys, they CAN connect, but if
>> they're behind another m0n0wall, or behind a Cisco (only ones I've
>> confirmed so far), they can not connect.  If I put in the Linksys,
>> anyone can connect to me no matter what router they are behind.  All
>> of this goes away if I put in a 1:1 mapping to the Wii.
>>
>> Chris
>>
>> Tim Kingman wrote:
>>> Sorry for not getting to this last week when I promised. I'm now
>>> running
>>> 1.3b15 with the same config as my 1.2 box. I can connect to Nintendo