[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Tim Nelson <tnelson at rockbochs dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] problems during reboot on cf
 Date:  Wed, 3 Dec 2008 09:13:54 -0600 (CST)
I've done a great deal of "hardware repurposing" with both monowall and pfsense on everything from
Watchguard firewalls, Intel SSL accelerators, Nokia firewalls, etc... Most of the time they're
simply standard x86 hardware underneath with a pretty chassis wrapped around it to make sure you pay
more :-).

In my experience, it's best to first clear the BIOS of any factory settings and start fresh.
Disabling ACPI helps with some disks as well. Also, check the usual suspects like power supply,
cabling, CF card, CF reader, etc. Speaking CF reader, what type are you using? I'm assuming a
standard 40pin IDE-CF adapter?

All optimism aside, I've sometimes found that hardware appliances are simply too customized or
modified to be used with something different and it simply won't work. BUT, we'll leave that thought
alone until all other options are exhausted. :-)

Tim Nelson
Systems/Network Support
Rockbochs Inc.
(218)727-4332 x105