[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] comparison
 Date:  Tue, 16 Dec 2008 02:01:03 -0500
On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 9:03 AM, Marco Lingen <M dot Lingen at ooms dot com> wrote:
> We want to use the monowall for site to site vpn connections on P4
> 2,8Mhz pc's with 512Mb.
> I want to make a little comparison chart between monowall, ZyWall and
> Sonicwall vpn builder / firewall.
> Is there something on the web that i can't find..
>
> If not perhaps there are people who can help me with these questions.
> What is the max ipsec 3des/sha1 throughput speed for vpn site to site
> connections?
> Are the processor in combination with memory the greatest limitatations
> for this throughput or are there software limitatations?

Your CPU and NICs will be the greatest factor for network throughput,
CPU especially with IPsec. But on a P4 2.8 GHz, you can probably do
somewhere around 100-300 Mbps of IPsec, and probably close to gigabit
wire speed depending on the NICs and bus used.

> What is the maximum number of simultanius vpn tunnels ?

See http://m0n0.ch/wall/list/showmsg.php?id=350/79

-Chris