[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  rgreiner <mrgreiner at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Mac OS problem with Monowall
 Date:  Tue, 16 Dec 2008 15:40:39 -0200
Hi,

I'm having a problem with our MacBook users behind Monowall.

We are using Monowall 1.235, DHCP is done by an independent FreeBSD 6.1
box. The DHCP is working properly and all user stations are receiving
addresses.

For some reason, the MacBooks are not able to navigate in the Web (I
didn't try non-MacBook Macintosh stations, because there is none
available here). The captive portal, when it opens at all, takes a hell
of a long time (>1 min.)

Strange part: A not logged in MacBook manages to ping our DNS outside
the Monowall network. A Windows station, not logged, can't (which would
be the proper reaction).

Traceroute from the MacBook gets almost no answer, no matter what the
target (outside the Monowall network). When an answer appears, it
indicates a time of >1500ms (and that's for the monowall box itself).
Windows stations in the same situation get responses in the area of 1-5
ms. Even weirder, the ping mentioned above, when the MacBook isn't
connected, get fast times (1-5ms). Traceroute in exactly the same
situation, same target, gets no answer at all. I'm not familiar with
Macintosh (we have only a couple of users in the campus) and I do not
know what other tools I should try for a diagnosis. I'm completely lost
and baffled. Could someone give some ideas of what could be going on, or
how I should proceed for a diagnosis?

Tks,

Roberto

                Marcos Roberto Greiner

   Os otimistas acham que estamos no melhor dos mundos
    Os pessimistas tem medo de que isto seja verdade
                                       Murphy