[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Frank Richter <richter at mpia dash hd dot mpg dot de>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Block 300 IP's
 Date:  Fri, 19 Dec 2008 09:57:02 +0100
Frank Richter wrote:

> [...]
>> this route, do NOT use password-less keys, and have your ssh-agent
>> set up to not cache between logins. If you don't and someone steals
>> your laptop and logs in, they've basically got the keys to the
>> kingdom at that point. To disable password authentication on the
>> server, change the value of PasswordAuthentication to no in your
>> sshd_config.
>>
>> 3. Limit connections
>>
>> You can also limit the number of SYN (connection establishment)
>> packets. This should be unnoticed by legitimate users, but it will
>> delay an attacker that is making repeated connections. If you wanted
>> to limit the rate to 3 per minute and were using port 2000:
>>
>> iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -dport 2000 -syn -m limit -limit 1/m
>> -limit-burst 3 -j ACCEPT
>> iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -dport 2000 -syn -j DROP
>>
>> (If you need other firewall commands, let me know. I'm just looking
>> on a local box here that's running iptables. :))
>>
>> 4. Deploy Anti-Brute-Force Tools
>>
>> sshd_sentry - SSHD Sentry is a Perl script that monitors SSH server
>> logs, detects repeated failed login attempts and adds the hosts to a
>> black list.
>> http://linuxmafia.com/pub/linux/security/sshd_sentry/sshd_sentry - I
>> use this one, but mainly because it's perl and I can add anything
>> that I think is missing. :)
>>
>> SSHBan - SSHban is simple daemon designed to ban attackers. Instead
>> of scanning SSH logs, SSHBan directly receives data from the logger.
>> http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Log-Analyzers/sshban-15591.shtml
>>
>> SSHDFilter -SSHDFilter blocks the frequent brute-force attacks by
>> directly reading the SSH daemon logs and generating firewall rules to
>> block the attack. The blocking firewall policy is defined by a list
>> of block-rules. http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~greg/sshdfilter/
>>
>> Brute-Force Detection -BFD is a shell script for parsing application
>> logs and checking for authentication failures and block the IP
>> address using custom firewall rules. http://www.rfxnetworks.com/bfd.php
>> SSHGuard - Protects networks from brute force attacks against ssh

>> firewall rule. http://sshguard.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> And there are plenty more out there to add to that list.
>>
> Lee Sharp wrote:
>>
>> No, but...
>>
>> First, let me add to Ryan, you can use fail2ban. I love this program!
>> It cuts a lot of garbage out.
>>
>> Now that said, you need to expand your concept of network. Start by
>> sorting your ip addresses. Now do a 'whois' of one. See how many that
>> netblock hits. Block that netblock. Also do the same for your IP
>> addresses that you connect from, and allow them. For example, I use
>> AT&T dsl at home. It is in the netblock 70.128.0.0/12, and if I allow
>> only that I can still always connect. This may help...
>> http://www.subnet-calculator.com/cidr.php
>>
>> With that approach, you can knock your 300 down to probably 10 or
>> less. Or allow only the subnet you are likely to use, which would

Many thanks for all your suggestions. I've learned that blocking this
brute-force attempts on the firewall is not the right place.
I see in my logs that an attacker tries to connect to all my SSHD
(three) nearly simultaneously and then disappears for a long time (25h)
and the next attacker tries the same username and disappears again.

Changing port from 22 to something different is not possible also the
usage of keys;-(

But I will check some of the above-mentioned tools for detecting attacks.

I add another tool, to the above-mentioned, which is in FreeBSD
Portstree (I've not tested this currently, if its possible to detect and
block the attackers with it):

denyhosts http://denyhosts.sourceforge.net/

Many thanks again

Merry Chrismas and a Happy New Year!