[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Mike Zanker <mike at zanker dot org>
 To:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Strange NTP behaviour
 Date:  Mon, 12 Jan 2009 14:11:00 +0000
On 07/01/09 13:17, Mike Zanker wrote:

> I'm running 1.3b15 on a net4801. I have an NTP server on my local LAN
> specified with an update interval of 60 minutes. This has been working
> fine for months until a couple of weeks ago when I had to power off the
> net4801 for a few minutes. Ever since I powered it on again it has been
> flooding my NTP server with NTP requests - around 10 per second. This
> happens regardless of the clock update interval setting. It also happens
> regardless of which NTP server I use. I set it to update from a
> pool.ntp.org server with exactly the same results.

A little more information. Manually running msntp against ANY time
server produces the following output (this is from my local server, though):

$ /usr/local/bin/msntp -V  ntp0.zanker.org

 msntp options: a=1 p=0 v=2 e=0.100 E=5.000 P=30.000

     d=15 c=5 x=0 op=1 l= f= ntp0

 msntp: using NTP server mallard.zanker.org (81.187.121.162)

 msntp: totally spurious NTP packet rejected on socket 0

 msntp: totally spurious NTP packet rejected on socket 0

 msntp: totally spurious NTP packet rejected on socket 0

 msntp: totally spurious NTP packet rejected on socket 0

 msntp: totally spurious NTP packet rejected on socket 0

 msntp: totally spurious NTP packet rejected on socket 0

 msntp: too many bad or lost packets

So I'm guessing that this is a bug in msntp in 1.3b15 and probably not
related to power-cycling my net4801.

Mike