[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Tough sell to my boss
 Date:  Mon, 12 Jan 2009 19:58:40 -0500
On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 12:33 PM, William F. Dudley Jr.
<wfdudley at gmail dot com> wrote:
> This may count as topic hijacking, but . . .
>
> I certainly wouldn't recommend trying to build a production router
> using the Alix
> 2C3 board.  I and others have had mysterious failures (the ethernet ports just
> stop working) and I have not seen a solution.

I have had one since before they were available to the public, and
currently have about 10 of them in production and have had 0 issues.
It seems maybe there was a bad batch that a few people have gotten.
Have any of you asked PC Engines about this?  I presume most of these
boards should still be under warranty, if they have a bad port it
should be replaced.

I've been very pleased with the ALIX hardware, especially in
comparison to the Soekris 5501 which has had multiple widespread
serious hardware issues requiring shipping the boards back for repair.

Being on the latest BIOS is a good idea because there were a number of
bugs in BIOS versions pre-0.99, but I am not aware of any that cause
problems with Ethernet ports.

-Chris