[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "apiasecki at midatlanticbb dot com" <apiasecki at midatlanticbb dot com>
 To:  "Ulrik Lunddahl (PROconsult)" <ul at proconsult dot dk>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: SV: [m0n0wall] Tough sell to my boss
 Date:  Fri, 16 Jan 2009 15:52:45 -0500
pfSense has support contracts.

I would say
- Errors can be fixed immediately by anyone who has the knowledge to do so.
- m0n0wall will never stop being developed, as long as the source code
exists, anyone that wants to learn the code can develop it.
- Compatibility is always a issue regardless of the manufacture.  Simply
test it and see if it works. No one can say their product is compatible
with all equipment.

Adam

Ulrik Lunddahl (PROconsult) wrote:
> Hi Thomas!
>
> Trust can't be sold, but is required to be in stock to sell anything else.
>
> Monowall is a product, but everything around it is based on trust, since trust can't be sold, i
have nothing to sell when the customer asks for insurance for:

> - that errors will be fixed in a certain time frame.
> - that the product will be developed for x years.
> - that the product will be compatible with x other product.
> and more...
>
> In that case I have to choose a product that has these services included or sold as an option,
often that means a product that is not quite as good as m0n0wall, but there is really no other
option.