[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Melvin <melvin at sleepydragon dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: SV: [m0n0wall] Tough sell to my boss
 Date:  Fri, 16 Jan 2009 16:22:56 -0500
apiasecki at midatlanticbb dot com wrote:
> pfSense has support contracts.
>
> I would say
> - Errors can be fixed immediately by anyone who has the knowledge to
> do so.
> - m0n0wall will never stop being developed, as long as the source code
> exists, anyone that wants to learn the code can develop it.
> - Compatibility is always a issue regardless of the manufacture.
> Simply test it and see if it works. No one can say their product is
> compatible with all equipment.
>
> Adam
The one difference I would point out however is that while compatibility
is always an issue, with m0n0 or any other OSS package, there is some
likelihood it can be fixed whereas the big name folks have a tendency to
tell you the 'other' product isn't compatible with theirs and that you
should be using their product all both/all ends of whatever connection
you're having issues with.  OSS packages pretty much have to comply
with  the documented standards to have any chance of working.  Bigger
companies can always 'tweak' the standard to their way of thinking and
get away with it because of they're, well, bigger.  If you need examples
just pull out a few major computer related firms like... let me see
now... oh yeah, there's Microsoft, Cisco, HP, IBM, and I'm sure you can
add your favorites as well.  They all do lots of standards based stuff,
but there's always some wiggle room in the implementation.