[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jukka Salmi <j+m0n0wall at 2009 dot salmi dot ch>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  network connectivity suddenly gone until m0n0wall restart
 Date:  Thu, 22 Jan 2009 11:41:54 +0100
Hello,

on some remote sites with the following simple setup

             +--------+  +----------+
  ---(inet)--+ router +--+ m0n0wall |
             +--------+  +----+-----+

                           +--+--+
                           | PC  |
                           +-----+

I'm having network connectivity problems between the m0n0wall (running
on an ALIX) and the PC.

Shortly after the m0n0wall and the PC are powerd up everything runs
fine.  But after the PC has been restarted a few times (yes, it's
running the OS of choice for an unexplicable huge number of people) I
suddenly can't reach (ping) it anymore from the m0n0wall.  The m0n0wall
logs show several link change message for the interface the PC is
connected to, probably caused by rebooting the PC; the last such message
indicates that the link is UP again.  But in the m0n0wall DHCP logs
there's no request from the client since its restart...

And now the funny thing: after restarting the m0n0wall now, I'm able to
reach the PC again.

The first thing I suspected was a DHCP client problem, but I see the
same problem even if the client's IP configuration is done statically.

Is anybody seeing a similar problem?

TIA, Jukka

--
bashian roulette: