[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  mark at ehle dot homelinux dot org
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Captive Portal Users Can't get past Login
 Date:  Fri, 23 Jan 2009 11:36:34 -0500
Hello -

We have set up a m0n0wall box at the library I work at to use it for
our patrons with wireless laptops.

In our case, we don't want usernames, so we have a login page that
just presents rules to the patron and they hit a button and are
redirected to our home page.

The captive portal is set up on a PC booting from the CD, running
version 1.235. The LAN port is connected to a Cisco 1100 AP. In
testing, it worked great. I put a wireless card in one of our staff
machines and it worked just like it should - open the browser, login
page appears, hit the button, and our home page comes up.

The problem happened when patrons tried it. They could not get past
the login page. When they would hit the button, the login page would
just keep coming back. To work around it short-term, I put some folks
MAC's in the passthru list, but that is not going to work of course.

Right now I don't have anything in the "Maximum concurrent
connections" boxes. Just blanks. Could that make a difference?

What else do I need to check for?

Thanks -

Library Mark