[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Thomas Sprinzing <thomas at sprinzing dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] SSL VPN?
 Date:  Tue, 23 Dec 2008 01:25:16 +0100
On 22-Dec-08, at 11:56 PM, Chris Buechler wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 2:53 PM, Quark IT - Hilton Travis
> <Hilton at quarkit dot com dot au> wrote:
>> G'day Michael,
>>
>> M0n0wall had previously included the OpenVPN code, however it was
>> removed (from memory) because of stability issues.  Weird, I know,
>> because OpenVPN is used by a lot of others without issue, such as the
>> DD-WRT guys in their replacement OS for the Linksys WRT-series (and
>> others) router devices.
>>

> It was related to how m0n0wall works with OPT interfaces, it created
> problems. Don't remember specifically, but it created bugs. No one was
> interested in fixing it.

Indeed, as OpenVPN gives the best combination of interoperability in
guest situations, ease of config plus relatively high security, i
still love to use my old m0n0 on wraps. Only thing is, as the codes
was discontinued, the whole boxes might suffer from that bad DNS flaw.
I'd love to switch to a newer m0n0 version, but the folks here made it
pretty clear that openVPN would be out and not come in anytime soon a
couple of it-years ago

Now that more people can see the benefit of not having to wrestle your
cable provider or hotel lobby assistants over IPsec woes, but rather
switching on their computer and turning the VPN on, we might see a
"renaissance"???