[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jukka Salmi <j+m0n0wall at 2009 dot salmi dot ch>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] network connectivity suddenly gone until m0n0wall restart
 Date:  Thu, 29 Jan 2009 11:55:42 +0100
Jukka Salmi --> m0n0wall (2009-01-27 14:02:16 +0100):
[...]
> I tried FreeBSD (m0n0wall) on WRAP (sis(4)) boards and could not
> reproduce the problem.  I also could not reproduce it when running Linux
> on the ALIX board.  However, NetBSD (which seems to use the same driver
> as FreeBSD) on ALIX showed the same problems; executing `ifconfig vr0
> up' printed "vr0: using force reset command." and made the connection
> work again.  Seems to be a driver problem...

...which seems to have been fixed by some major [1]changes to vr(4)
almost a year ago.  Or at least the driver notices the problem and
resets:

    vr0: vr_link_task: Tx/Rx shutdown error -- resetting
    vr0: restarting
    vr0: vr_stop: Rx shutdown error
    vr0: Using force reset command.

IIUC this change has been MFC to 7.1.  Actually I tested it with pfSense
1.2.2 which (according to dmesg) is 7.0 but nevertheless they seem to
have the fixed driver.  I wonder whether they back-ported it themselves
or if there's a patch available.  Of course I'd be interested in seeing
such a patch for 6.3 and thus for m0n0wall... ;-)

BTW, is it still possible to build a custom m0n0wall image and upload it
using the firmware upload mechanism?  Or will it be rejected because
it's not signed?

Cheers, Jukka

[1] http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base?view=revision&revision=177050

--