[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Steve Bertrand <steve at ibctech dot ca>
 To:  atmlogic at kmts dot ca
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Performance issues?
 Date:  Wed, 04 Feb 2009 01:27:45 -0500
Andrew @ ATM Logic wrote:
> Any thoughts on what I should check with my m0n0 box?    For some strange
> reason I can upload about 10x faster than download through the box?
>
> I will have to do a bit more testing to rule out my AP, however just did a
> speed test and got 100K down, and about 980K up...   On the LAN I would get
> 4000K down and 1000K up.

Please...(hrm)...

First, if you are going to ask such a question, please provide your
network topology. What type of connection do you have to the Internet?
What type of hardware does your ``m0n0'' run on?

What type of LAN do you have? Is it a basic (NAT'd) '192.168.x.x' that
when you go to http://wimi.com it provides you with an IP address?

Where does your m0n0 box come into play? Are you connected directly to
it via the AP when the test 'fails'? Are you connected to it when you
witness a decent speed via the 'LAN'?

Do yourself a favour...get rid of the AP, and test again. Then notify
whether the LAN is controlled by m0n0. Halving the problem will help you
find where your issue is.

(sorry for the noise, I've just had a long day, and saw a wide-open post
to reflect upon).

A quick test through a development m0n0 box, with an attached AP
revealed decent results:

http://ibctech.ca/m0n0-speedtest.jpg

...however, without a descriptive intro, it would not be apparent that I
was an ISP, going over one of my single 100Mbps connections to the
backbone, with an attached high-end AP that I am connected to.

...leaning away from leaving with this, but what-the-heck:

Steve

ps. Good work Manuel. I remember doing much learning on scripting around
the m0n0-BSD project years ago. I don't post often but I still pay
attention. If I see on -announce or -devel that v6 is solid, this small
Canadian ISP will try to forge the software to a cost-effective CPE.
Otherwise, it will still be used for SMB intra- and inter- VLAN jobs.