[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Quark IT - Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkIT dot com dot au>
 To:  Kevin Tollison <ktollison at gmail dot com>, "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Which dynamic DNS services do you use?
 Date:  Mon, 16 Mar 2009 06:49:54 +1000
G'day Kevin,

In no way did you upset me.  You mentioned EveryDNS and OpenDNS and I mentioned that OpenDNS has
issues - enough that we've deployed it to over a dozen clients initially and removed it from all of
those sites because of DNS resolution issues.  There were about 9 or 10 (I can't recall the exact
number) clients who suffered issues when OpenDNS went offline at one point, so we removed it from
100% of our clients and no longer suffer DNS-related issues.  I also know quite a number of other
consultants who have had issues with OpenDNS outages affecting their clients who no longer use their
service.  At other times we've had OpenDNS just go either non-responsive or into block-all mode -
and either way, it wasn't enjoyable for our clients.

Also, apparently I was wrong about David being only an employee of OpenDNS, and for that I
apologise.

OpenDNS definitely has some good features.  I'm not denying that.  We just found that their outages
caused more issues for our clients than their beneficial features resulted in, so we've moved back
to ISP DNS and had no issues since doing so.  I *am* always keeping an eye out for OpenDNS, though,
and hope to try their service again sometime in the future.

The whole idea of this thread is to offer up dynamic DNS services and have people discuss them -
that's what we were doing, when David Burgess came in throwing accusations around trying to stifle
valid discussion.

--

http://hiltont.blogspot.com/

Regards,

Hilton Travis                       Phone: +61 (0)7 3105 9101
(Brisbane, Australia)               Phone: +61 (0)419 792 394
Manager, Quark IT                   http://www.quarkit.com.au
         Quark Group                http://www.quarkgroup.com.au

     Microsoft SBSC PAL (Australia) http://www.sbscpal.com/

                    Quark Group Pty. Ltd.
      T/A Quark Automation, Quark AudioVisual, Quark IT