[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Tobias Balle-Petersen <tbp at kontrapunkt dot com>
 To:  Quark IT - Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkIT dot com dot au>
 Cc:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] How to use different DNS-servers for LAN & PPTP?
 Date:  Tue, 17 Mar 2009 11:10:39 +0100
Hello Hilton....

I may not have described my problem well enough. I'll try a different
appoach here:

I have a mail server in my DMZ. It's NATted and has a private IP. The
mail server can be reached from the internet. The URL of the server is
resolved to the public IP of the monowall.

As the server has a private IP (in the DMZ network), my machines in LAN
can not connect to the mailserver using the public IP of the monowall.

To allow machines on LAN to connect to the mail server, I enter the URL
in the dns server on the monowall and let it resolve to the private IP
(DMZ net) of the mail server.

This is good, and LAN as well as WAN users are happy.

Now, I have VPN users connecting using PPTP. Let's say a user is
connected to our mail server before connecting to the VPN. When the user
  connects to the VPN, the client starts using the DNS server on the
monowall. This means that the URL of the mail server now resovles to the
private (DMZ) IP of the mail server. This confuses the users mail client
a lot. They have to restart their mail client to again be able to
connect to the mail server. Same thing happens when they disconnect
(They stop using the monowall DNS server).

What can I do to let my users use the mail server without hiccups even
when using VPN? Do I really need to assign a public IP to my mail server?

Thanks,
Tobias