[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Brian Lloyd <brian dash wb6rqn at lloyd dot com>
 To:  Michel Servaes <michel at mcmc dot be>
 Cc:  Monowall User List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] ipv6, a little off topic
 Date:  Sat, 11 Apr 2009 15:59:37 -0700
On Apr 11, 2009, at 1:16 PM, Michel Servaes wrote:

> I also have no clue on what advantages IPv6 can give me,

It comes down to address space. IPv6 has enough addresses so we can
give just about everything in the universe its own IP address. That
should meet all present and future needs. If you want to give all your
devices routable addresses and do away with NAT forever then you
probably want to deploy IPv6.

Back when we were first conceiving IP the expectation was that all
systems would be addressable and the Internet would provide ubiquitous
peer-to-peer connectivity. We thought that 32 bits would be
sufficient. (I even had my own class-B network number which I *just*
released back to ARIN a few days ago. I am still hanging onto my
portable class-C.) Back around 1992 we realized that we were indeed
going to run out of address space which led to two steps to conserve
address space:

1. CIDR

2. NAT

These seem to have extended the usability of the 32-bit address space
far longer than we anticipated. Still, we are going to run out of 32-
bit addresses eventually and we are going to switch to IPv6. It is up
to you whether that happens for you sooner or later.

You can switch to IPv6 internally and let your gateway do IPv4 to IPv6
translation for now. You can then tunnel your IPv6 over IPv4. Don't
expect ISPs to embrace IPv6 as they are making money renting IPv4
address space and a wholesale switch to IPv6 would eliminate that
revenue stream.

Right now I am looking at whether it is possible for me to convert
completely over to IPv6 transparently to my users. The maturation of
IPv6 in m0n0wall is significant as most of my networks have m0n0wall
in front of them.

So, time to fiddle with 1.3b16.

--
Brian Lloyd                         3191 Western Drive
brian AT lloyd DOT com              Cameron Park, CA 95682

PGP key ID:          12095C52A32A1B6C
PGP key fingerprint: 3B1D BA11 4913 3254 B6E0  CC09 1209 5C52 A32A 1B6C