[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Egbert Jan van den Bussche" <egbert at vandenbussche dot nl>
 To:  "'Michel Servaes'" <michel at mcmc dot be>, "'Steve Bertrand'" <steve at ibctech dot ca>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] how do we check, that ipv6 is actually working (OT again)
 Date:  Tue, 14 Apr 2009 22:11:44 +0200
Hi Michel,

I have a v6 tunnel to Hobbynet and an official subnet. I Live in NL.
Hobbynet runs a tunnelserver for members. I am one of the volonteers that
run Hobbynet.

Why trying to get that tunnel to your PC? Let it end on the WAN of you
Monowall (1.3beta15 or 16 on a Soekris I presume?). Enable v6 and
advertising on the  LAN side and give the LAN side the first address in you
assigned subnet.That would be 2001:470:d39d:1::1. The give you a /48 but you
use /64 on your LANs. In this way you could give 2001:470:d39d:2::1 to OPT1.

Your PC (XP/Vista/Linux) will pick up the router advertisements en configure
itself! Yest this is IPv6! You will see that your interface gets an stange
address formed from the MAC address of the NIC.

I started off with SixXS too but Monowall seems not to respond to their
fancy pinging. I did wrote some pages in their Wiki but I deregistered
there.

You should be able to use the ping/traceroute in the diagnostics of MonoWall
in both directions (to LAN and to WAN). You should be able to ping6
www.hobby.nl. If you do this from a commandline (PC or Linux), add a -n
option. That will prevent translating the address to a hostname.

Have fun. Ans as Steve said, you will remember the v6 addresses soon without
problems ;-)

Egbert Jan (NL)