[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] MAC pass- through problem
 Date:  Mon, 27 Apr 2009 00:11:39 -0400
On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 11:18 PM, Andy Hofstee <andyhofstee at gmx dot ch> wrote:
> Good morning,
>

> I run m0n0 since quite some time, the diverse wifi- access point's, are hard- wired and each has
his unique IP.

> Now I extended my network by means of a wifi repeater to one of the access- point's.
>

> The captive- portal, if a client is logging- on, within the range of the new repeater, is working
fine, but if a pass- through MAC client is trying to get access, the captive- portal is not passing
the client through anymore.

> I noticed following log entry's:
>

> kernel: arp: 192.168.254.243 moved from 00:1c:bf:8b:e9:e5 to 00:c9:96:87:7e:69 on vr1
>

> so the MAC 00:1c:bf:8b:e9:e5, which is a pass-through, is moved, for what ever reason to
00:c9:96:87:7e:69.

That's your problem, if a device changes its MAC address it's not
going to work with the MAC passthrough since you have that set to its
former MAC address.

00:1c:bf is an Intel NIC, 00:c9:96 is a block that is not assigned to
any vendor, meaning it shouldn't be programmed into any NIC. Could be
for any number of reasons, but that's a problem, you should never see
that. It's not a m0n0wall issue, it's something with that host.